Part Three •
11. The Tales of the City saga opens with Mary Ann Singleton
learning to hang-glide at Ocean Beach
watching Vertigo at the Surf Theatre
taking a tour of Alcatraz
having brunch at Mama’s
drinking Irish coffee at the Buena Vista
12. What is the first name of Spenser, Robert B. Parker’s detective hero?
We’re never told what it is
13. The character of Mrs. Malaprop was created by
Richard Brinsley Sheridan
14. What did Madeline say to the tiger in the zoo?
Back off, buddy, I’m packing heat
15. Truman Capote spent his childhood summers next door to
Answers appear at the bottom of the following page.
Answers to Part Two
6. Surprisingly, it’s Charles Dickens. I suspect Dickens would have enjoyed Hornby’s writing, too: They share a keen appreciation for the absurd.
7. Rocky Napier, former naval officer, and his wife Helena, anthropologist, make life considerably more interesting for Mildred when they move in downstairs.
8. Martha was born in the valley of Glencaraid, Scotland, in 1782.
9. Eating a pastry. He dips his madeleine in a cup of tea and is mentally transported to scenes from his youth.
10. Linda is sitting on her suitcase at the Gare du Nord in Paris, sobbing because her train ticket has expired and she can’t get back to England.