Part Nine •
41. Who was Pansy O’Hara?
The heroine of Gone with the Wind before Margaret Mitchell changed her name
Raymond Chandler’s mistress
A pseudonym used by Dorothy Parker
The sister of Kim in Rudyard Kipling’s book
John O’Hara’s second wife
42. When his young daughter asked why he didn’t write more like Dickens, William Makepeace Thackeray is said to have replied
Not even Dickens can write like Dickens
Do not mention his name in this house
My books will be remembered long after his are forgotten
I only wish I could
If I did, you would want for bread on the table
43. Which of these is not a pen name?
44. Mapp and Lucia are thrown together against their will when they
marry into the same family
join a tour of the Italian lakes
are both elected to the Tilling council
share first prize in a gardening contest
are swept out to sea
45. How is Eustace Tilley traditionally represented?
Dipping a pen in an inkwell
Putting on his top hat
Looking at a butterfly
Executing a swan dive
Riding in a carriage
Answers appear at the bottom of the following page.
Answers to Part Eight
36. The Kiss is Harrison’s chilling account of being seduced by her biological father.
37. Joe Gores. The book is called Spade & Archer.
38. Much to her father’s dismay, Oona O’Neill became the fourth wife of Charlie Chaplin. Their oldest daughter is the actress Geraldine Chaplin.
39. She’s got bats in the belfry, and it takes 345 pages for the reader to find that out. I’m saving you some time.
40. Generations of children have learned to read from the beloved books of Theodor Geisel, aka Dr. Seuss.