Part Thirteen •
61. Where is Yoknapatawpha County supposed to be located?
We’re never told where it is
62. “That’s not writing. That’s typing,” was Truman Capote’s acerbic comment on the work of
63. In which book does Sherlock Holmes utter the famous words “Elementary, my dear Watson”?
The Sign of Four
A Study in Scarlet
The Valley of Fear
All of the above
None of the above
64. During his 20s, Rudyard Kipling earned his living as
a foot soldier
an officer of the British East India Company
I don’t know, I’ve never kippled
65. Why doesn’t Obelix drink the magic potion to protect him in battle, as the rest of the Gauls do?
It makes him break out in hives
He’s under a curse that would reverse the potion’s effects
He fell in the vat when he was little
He doesn’t take part in battles, so the potion would be wasted on him
There isn’t enough to go around
Answers appear at the bottom of the following page.
Answers to Part Twelve
56. Hammett drew heavily on his own relationship with Lillian Hellman when writing The Thin Man.
57. Poe was an outspoken critic of the Transcendentalist movement, whose adherents he referred to as “Frogpondians.”
58. Charlotte, Anne, and Emily Brontë submitted their manuscripts under the names Currer, Acton, and Ellis Bell, leaving publishers—and readers—to draw their own conclusions about the sisters’ identity.
59. Longmire is partial to the Bee’s biscuits and gravy, otherwise known as “the usual.”
60. All of the above. The Stratemeyer syndicate enjoyed considerable success not only with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, but also with Tom Swift, the Bobbsey Twins, and many other popular children’s series.