Part Eleven •
51. What well-known British playwright has a typographical error carved into his memorial plaque?
52. John F. Kennedy showed a marked preference for novels by
53. At which of these schools was F. Scott Fitzgerald placed on academic probation?
54. Inspector Ghote is attached to the police force in
55. Who was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction?
Answers appear at the bottom of the following page.
Answers to Part Ten
46. The Newbery Medal is awarded to outstanding works of juvenile literature.
47. Jane Austen: 1775-1817. Napoleon Bonaparte: 1769-1821. Though the Napoleonic wars are alluded to only indirectly in Austen’s novels, many of her male characters serve in the British military.
48. In The Sheltering Sky, Paul Bowles relates the story of three Arab girls whose dream was to have tea in the Sahara.
49. Obsessed as she is with her weight, Bridget carefully notes down the number of calories she has eaten on any given day.
50. The White Queen says, “Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!”