Part Seventeen •
81. Adela Quested and Lucy Honeychurch appear in the works of
82. What does Tom Sawyer wish he had taken into Injun Joe’s cave with him?
Some of Aunt Polly’s corn bread
83. The anarchists of The Man Who Was Thursday pass undetected by
dressing to blend in with a crowd
meeting only at night
posing as deaf-mutes
changing residences frequently
taking jobs as servants
84. For which part of his anatomy is Cyrano de Bergerac famous?
A part we can’t mention on a polite website like this
85. The covers of gothic novels frequently show
peaceful English villages
geometric symbols and signs of the zodiac
tropical beaches and palm trees
spooky buildings and women in long skirts
cathedrals and mosques
Answers appear at the bottom of the following page.
Answers to Part Sixteen •
76. To symbolize the uncovering of spirituality. As an added benefit, his daughter says it helps her find him in movie theaters—although she sometimes sits down next to the wrong bald man by accident.
77. Picking pockets. The light-fingered Dodger teaches Oliver Twist how to appropriate gentlemen’s handkerchiefs, wallets, and other valuables.
78. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Honest, that’s what he said.
79. Jade del Cameron. With her motorcycle, pet cheetah, and colorful vocabulary, the photojournalist cuts quite a swath through 1920s East Africa. “Spit fire and save the matches!” is another Jade-ism.
80. “Macavity’s a mystery cat,” wrote T.S. Eliot in 1939, decades before Broadway made a hit musical out of Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats.